The Beauty of Nature

The Beauty of Nature

Friday, March 30, 2007

What can YOU do?


I have found a variety of ways to reduce my greenhouse gas emissions. They are as follows:
1.) Use my vehicle less often and choose to car pool or use public transit
2.) While I am driving, drive more moderately. Do not accelerate as quickly, and drive slower to save fuel.
3.) Make regular adjustments to my vehicle, and keep it in good working condition. Properly tuned engines use 50% less fuel, and vehicles with well inflated tires also use less fuel.
4.) Lower my thermostat at home; I can save about 3% on heating costs for every degree you reduce your thermostat.
5.) Use my microwave more often instead of a stove top element as it uses much more energy.
6.) Reduce my computers energy consumption by turning on the energy saving feature.
7.) Reduce the lighting I use by taking advantage of natural light and also turning off lights while I am not around.
8.) Hang my clothes instead of putting them into a clothes dryer.
9.) I can be a smart shopper by buying groceries in recyclable packaging.
10.) I can be open to new ideas about the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
11.) Buy energy star appliances.
12.) When using dishwashers and clothes dryers, make sure it is a full load.
13.) I can weatherize my home by making sure it is well insulated (more heat escaping means more your furnace has to work).
14.) I can replace any incandescent light bulbs with fluorescent ones.
15.) I can buy solar panels and set them up for an alternate energy source.
16.)I can decide to eat low on the food chain. On average, it takes nearly 10 times as much fossil fuel to produce animal protein compared to plant protein, like beans and grains.

17.) People who live in the city could ride their bike to work/school etc instead of driving.
18.) The last thing I could do, is educated people around me like family and friends on how they can also reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
http://envirorentals.com/Topic_of_month/reduceemissions.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Your-Greenhouse-Gas-Emissions
All of these suggestions could be used by myself, friends, relatives, co workers and so on. I think there are quite a few good ideas to contribute to lowering GHG emissions, but people just have to try. We all need to do our part.

No comments: